Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The hard decisions

It is time once again to buy curriculum and I've been stressing about it for weeks! While there were many great things that happened this year in our homeschool, there were also a lot of things I knew I wanted to change. Those of you who have little ones know that it is difficult to spend time teaching the older ones while trying to give the younger ones enough attention. I kept searching for a curriculum that would free up some of my time for my little ones while letting my older kids work more independently. After weeks of praying and going back and forth between different subjects I finally had an epiphony. I asked myself what it was that I liked about homeschooling my kids and came to the realization that it was the time spent teaching and learning. Our best moments were not the moments my kids worked independently but the moments we all learned together. This lead me to make a really hard decision to buy the curriculum that required more of my time. I know this will mean that my house is a mess more often and that I have less "me" time but looking back I know that it will also mean there will be more quality time with my kids. I've also started planning more hands on learning tools for my toddlers so that they can be engaged while I work on the harder subjects with my older two. It is such a great feeling when things come together and you feel peace about your decisions. This is one of those times. I feel peace. If you want to know what curriculum I've chosen, check back soon as I will be updating that page.

1 comment:

Susana said...

Yes, Yes, I want to know :-)! Update, please...I'm glad you got it all sorted out and feel so good about it! I can't wait to see what you've chosen!