Sunday, August 14, 2011

Week 2 (10 days)

I can't believe another week has flown by and I am still loving it! This week we got into more of the fun part of homeschooling with a few projects. In SOTW we studied about the Sepoy Mutiny and learned how to load an enfield rifle. It was amazing how much faster it was then the old method of pouring in gunpowder, stuffing some cloth in with a rod, and adding the ball. Watch the videos below to see how we compared the two.

We had to postpone our edible cell until next week so the kids are really looking forward to that. They did some notebooking about the history of anatomy and chose someone to write about that has influenced the field of medicine. Kayli chose Aristotle and Carson chose Galen. They both drew pictures and wrote about the important discoveries these men made.




Like I mentioned last week, I was not happy with our Spanish choice so I have decided to add Rosetta Stone spanish to our lessons. As soon as it arrives and we start I will let you know what I think about it.
I continue to love our classical English curriculum. The kids are improving so much in their writing and grammar as well as their memorization and dictation. I'm wondering if I skipped these subjects in school because I think I'm learning as much as them! Carson memorized a poem called "The Goops" and is constantly asking if he can recite it to me. Being a lover of poetry myself, I am thrilled that he is enjoying this part of school. He is also going through books faster than I can find them at the Library. He absolutely loves reading! Hooray!



Another pleasant surprise is how much we have learned in art so far. We are using Artistic Pursuits and I really like how it has an art history lesson and then teaches an art technique. This week we painted color wheels and studied about the impressionists in Paris in the 1800's. We did have to look up how to pronounce one of the French painter's names.




My preschoolers learned about the letter B this week and the beach. If you ask them what they learned they will say b b b beach ball. Really that's all they remembered! Haha! I let them press seashells into play and look at the patterns they made, play a matching game with sea animals, read books about the beach and ocean, and of course we blew up a beach ball and played catch in the house! It feels good to plan time with my little boys instead of just pushing them away while the older ones do school. This way everyone gets a little of my time and I feel like a better mom in the process.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Sounds like a wonderfully fun and busy week!