Monday, August 8, 2011

Week 1 (5 days)

School's in session and I absolutely love having more order to my day! This year I have a fourth grader, a second grader, and two toddlers that are loving pre-school. Our little 7 month old is usually on the floor playing with something left over from our activities (or legos :( So here is the run down of week 1.

I decided to go with a theme each week based on the alphabet so this week we did A for Astronaut with the little boys. I was amazed at how much I found online and had a hard time narrowing it down to 5 activities. We checked out a few books at the library and usually had a song or rhyme to go along with the theme. The highlight was our rockets that blasted off when we blew through straws! That lasted a good 30 minutes and you know that's saying something with a 3 and 2 year old! We also covered the number 1 and our shape was a star. (In case you try launching rockets like this, I suggest using a shorter straw and a skewer cut in half or one of those sticks you stir drinks with).




 On Friday we went to the State Museum and explored the Animal Grossology exhibit.




 This exhibit went perfectly with their Astronaut themed week!


Here are a few "first day of school" pics. Cameron ran and got the camera and was so excited for me to take his picture and then just decided it was taking too long and wouldn't cooperate. oh well. Can't wait for next week!














Kayli and Carson are really enjoying all of the classical curriculum this year. Math is going to be a struggle but that is not unusual around here, and spanish is going to need to change, but other than that things are going great! I really love teaching First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease. ( I will probably learn as much as the kids this year).  I am considering buying the Rosetta Stone Homeschool package for spanish. I currently have Teaching children spanish primer A and think it is way to hard and boring for kids.


No comments: